Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hoya UV Lens Filter Winner

Before I announce the winner, let me clarify that I am only a novice in photography. I learned what I know from speaking with professional photographers whom I happened upon during their shoots, from my camera manual, from studying EXIF data on Flickr, and by experimentation. I am by no means learned enought to be a teacher or judge, so all the comments I give are strictly MY opinion. That said, the winner is... Drum roll please!

Photograph No. 5, by Benjo. Good use of lighting. The colors are so alive. You have a good eye for subjects.


Camera: Nikon D5000
Exposure: 1/320
Aperture: f/5.3
Focal Length: 45mm
ISO Speed: 2500
Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV
Flash: No Flash
Exposure Program: Aperture-priority AE


Winner, please claim your prize by emailing me your lens filter size. 

Secondary prize for effort and originality. Nikon cleaning cloths.





Photograph No. 1, by Inday. I give the photog props for not being afraid to close the distance (27mm). The rooster's feather details and colors come through. 

 
Camera: Canon 1000D
Exposure: 1/60
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 27mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: On, Fired
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority AE



Photograph No. 2, by Bebot. Did you wait for the cockroach to show up? Or, did you seize the moment when you saw this? Either way, you had to have had your camera with you, ready, searching, anticipitating the event.


Camera: Nikon D3100
Exposure: 1/100
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Lenth: 200
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: -5/3 EV
Exposure Program: Manual



A word of advise regarding your lenses! According to Ken Rockwell, the best way to clean a lens is not to get it dirty. I use a filter on my lenses all the time, usually a UV. I clean the filters and rarely need to clean the lenses. Avoid cleaning lenses. You can wear off the coatings and scratch the glass. Be gentle and clean as infrequently as you can. These techniques work for me for glass. For plastic camera back LCDs, be even more careful.

Stay tuned for more photography assignments. Next one coming up in April. So practice, practice, practice, and have fun while you're practicing!





1 comment:

  1. Yeah right Benjo had the best picture! I second the motion. No doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete